Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Anemone hupehensis


I found this flower in the grounds of the Kathe Kollwitz Museum in Berlin. I like the work of this artist very much. Her drawings are rather stark & can be overwhelming. They speak of the horrors of war, and in particular its effect on women & children. Her work is full of mothers.


On Unter Den Linden, her sculpture "Mother With Her Dead Son" is enclosed by walls, but open to the sky. Instead of the usual formal pieta with the dead son stretched horizontally across his calmly sad mother's lap, Kollwitz has the grown child enfolded vertically in the bulk of the grieving mother.


4 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

I always liked thisn.

Cissy Strutt said...

Thanks, Joey. Get to Berlin & see them in person. Tender & powerful, like that'un.

Joey Polanski said...

I aint sure that I coud FIND Berlin.

Sara Sue said...

Cissy - These are so touching and beautiful. I envy you your travels but am so glad you share with us! Excuse me, I've got to go get some tissue!