Friday, March 16, 2007

the time I met Mel Gibson

While Blogger is being a bugger about uploading images, I'll tell you a story. Are you sitting comfortably? Good, then I'll begin.

Last Sunday in Melbourne my friend Marlowe, with whom I stay, had a lovely luncheon party for a few friends (naturally I cooked). Marlowe is a wonderful actor but, like many artists of all stripes in this anti-Art country, he has to suplement his income doing Another Job. (Now, throughout this story I am going to try very hard to preserve everybody's anonymity, so please bear with me as I circumlocate various identifying aspects of the story.) Okay, so Marlowe works for some kind of governmental agency, outdoors on a scooter, going daily from street to street, stopping here and there along the way. One of the luncheon guests (remember, we are in Melbourne last Sunday) also works for this same, er, service. He brought along his wife, whom none of us had met before.

Well, she was charming & fun & a wonderful contributor to the day, which I must say went on a very long time. But what the hey, there was plenty of delicious food & refreshing domestic rose. As the afternoon wore on, stories were told, to the hilarity of the company. At some point, Charming Wife off-handedly told a story about how, when she was a teenager, she lived in a certain beachside suburb of Sydney starting with C. (No, not Bondi, but you can walk from there). She and her little mates had heard a rumour that a Certain Big Film Star lived in a particular house overlooking the sea. This Film Star was born in America, but had grown up in Sydney. At that time he was Madcap, now we would call him just Mad, I think. Anyway, she & her little mates would play "ring & run away" at the door of this Film Star.

"Oh," I said, "so that was you".

Let me take you back to the mid-Eighties. I had just finished Acting School. (Yes, there was a time Cissy had dreams of stardom, but it was not to be. Though I will say I am playing a Finn in a Korean advertisement for table salt filming on Sunday, but I digress.) One of my great pals from Acting School was a chap called, let's say, Onald. He was closely related to this Madcap Film Star. Onald lived in the house at C----- Beach owned by his brother (whoops) that was known in the neighbourhood and at which schoolgirls would knock & ring & run away. As I spent a lot of time hanging out there, I had witnessed for myself this after-school prank.

So Charming Wife & I had a laugh - just think, all those years ago we were either side of that door. "We never knew if it really was his house," she said. "Oh, it was, but he was never there," I said. But that is not strictly true.

I started by wanting to tell you of the time I met *ahem hemhem*. It happened one day that I called my friend Onald. Ring ring. "Hello" said a familiar, deep, slightly American-accented Australian voice. "Oh hi, Onald," I said, "it's Cissy calling, just wanted to say blah de blah cascade of crap." There was a pause. "Well, actually," lovely deep warm amused voice said, "it isn't Onald. This is Mel." My bottom fell off and my voice rose two octaves. "Oh ha ha ha ha ha," I quipped hysterically, "well, you certainly sound very much alike." "Yes we do". My voice then reached a pitch that made the dogs howl. "Just tell him I called would you?" and I hang up.

That's it. That's the story. (My mother loved that story.) But it's made me think about my old pal Onald. There was a time we were close & I thought of him as a very good friend. He disappeared to America, oh, long ago, saying he would be gone for six weeks. We never heard from him again. He pops up in every Icon film - a line here and there. For the sake of our old friendship, I hope he is happy and peaceful. And for me, well, I'd like to think I will meet him again one day.

And on the subject of the circling round of time (yes, that really is our subject) the Saturday before last by chance I met my best friend's husband's brother's girlfriend's sister, and she remembered me from twenty-five years ago when she was dating a man I was sharing a house with. Apparently, I gave her a shirt.

10 comments:

frog said...

Dearest Cissy
Your story made me smile. On the subject of The Circling of Time (or is that a double helix) I would like to add:
1. I am the proud keeper of His stained brown bonds t-shirt that 'The Nice Wardrobe Supervisor' gave me when I left that same learning institution. The label says 'No Names No Pack Drill ' Madcap, 2nd year etc etc.
2. That same Korean advertisement for table salt filming on Sunday features a sand - covered boat model that my pal Davo made.
Have an excellent day, Cissy.

Joey Polanski said...

I think I figgerd out who evryone is.

Marlowe is th guy that went lookin fer Kurtz, right?

Cissy Strutt said...

Joey you are a freak of nature. That is precisely who Marlowe is. I guess I didn't do a very good job of anonymising.

frog - I'm off to play on Davo's boat, if I can just figure out how the hell to get to Rhodes.

Chickie said...

Not only do you take nifty pictures but you tell a good tale too!

Cissy Strutt said...

Why thank you, chickie, back atcha. I got more.

Badaunt said...

I feel compelled to tell you that in the late 80s or early 90s (I forget exactly which) I stayed for a couple of weeks in the apartment of a Bondi beach apartment with a somewhat flaky friend (think New Age vegan/shiatsu/yoga/organic-everything or else I'll die or break out in allergic reactions) and the boyfriend of her sister, who is a actress (at that time rather famous for a particular film)(although I found it hard to think of her as anything except the high-school-uniformed annoying younger sister of my friend), but she (the actress) was not there at the time, being in England making another film.

But if the particular actor you're talking about was living within walking distance of Bondi beach, I probably walked there. I did a lot of walking. As far as I remember I did not ring any bells and run away, though. Now I wish I had.

However, despite the tenuous link, I feel somehow ... CONNECTED, even if it is through Radioactive Jam. And how odd that is. (Or do I mean he is. Whatever.)

(Were there enough parentheses in there? My thoughts were full of parentheses, and I might have omitted one or two.)

Cissy Strutt said...

Welcome, badaunt, thanks for following your compulsion to tell your story.

'More" is always the key with parentheses here at Ginger Stick (especially when one is trying to anonymise).

Forrest Proper said...

That's a great story. The only comparable one I have is the time I almost ran down Goldie Hawn (no- not intentionally. I adore Goldie).

Well, and our neighbor on the Vineyard is Jim Belushi, John Belushi's brother. He's a great guy, much better looking that he is on his tv show.

Sara Sue said...

I wonder if old Mel remembers the phone call ... or was he a little tipsy at the time?

Anonymous said...

Well...I have a sister of an aunt of a father of a cousin...so who is your best frend?