Thursday, December 13, 2007

new skies


With Tintin away in Bali at a climate conference, deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard became acting Prime Minister. It was lovely being governed by a woman. I felt the difference.

Read this great article by Tracee Hutchison for more on the gal pollies in my country.

When Bill Heffernan called Julia Gillard "deliberately barren" in Parliament, Howard the Coward said nothing to censure him. Read it, kids. I wanted to make a tee shirt saying "deliberately barren" to wear, as I knew even as a wee teen that I didn't want to have children. My friends who are mothers were also frothing at the mouth and wanted to wear tee shirts too. Theirs, I decided, would read "accidentally fertile".

Julia would like them I'm sure. She could wear it while striding the corridors of power.

10 comments:

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Sign me up for one of those teeshirts!

Forrest Proper said...

Wow, that's amazing- an Australian politician who said something even stupider than the merry band of Neoliths currently running for the Republican Presidential nomination over here!

Impressive.

Malach the Merciless said...

Global warming is a lie

Phoebe Fay said...

Deliberately Barren! I love it. I'd wear it. Although, I'm more accidentally barren than deliberately. Still, I like the t-shirt idea.

Cissy Strutt said...

hereT: I will.

colonel: For me, disgusting though his comment was, it was the "oh that's just Bill" attitude from his party that really riled me.

Also - how did Bill know that Julia & her partner hadn't agonised over fertility problems, or been devastated by miscarriages.

malach: Just keep telling yourself that.

pheebs: We can do an "Accidentally Barren" one too. This is what Bill & his cronies just don't get - there are so many ways & means by which people have or don't have children.

Now that we are rehabilitating the word cunt, maybe we can do the same for barren. And spinster.

Mike said...

All this talk of your recent political changes is really making me want a regime change here all the more. God, I can't wait.

Cissy Strutt said...

mike, it's also generational change. Tintin is three years older than me, and Julia a year younger. Also of note is that he & she are from different "sides" within the Labor Party, and this is seen as positive & promising in terms of real change.

Sara Sue said...

I swear I'd sport a t-shirt that said , "Barren Cunt of a Spinster ... by Choice!"

Julia looks somewhat like Reba McEntire!

Cissy Strutt said...

I'd proudly swathe my boobies in such a shirt, too.

FreeOscar said...

Malach can make these t-shirts.
I'll wear any t-shirt that says cunt.