Saturday, September 15, 2007

lightning strike


If you go out of my building and turn left, you will quickly come to the Kings Cross Fire Station. There are two major advantages in living so close to this place. Firstly, the Kings Cross firies are universally considered to be the best looking of all New South Welsh firemen. And secondly, when your building is struck by lightning and your fire alarms go off, in a slamming of firedoors and a groaning of displaced occupants, the firemen are at your door in moments.

There was a brief electrical storm over Darlinghurst yesterday. (One of the great things about living in Sydney is being in electrical storms. brrrrr! All the hairs on my body rise & I get, well, quite excited.)

Here is yesterday's sky at 3pm:





The firies "entered and secured" the building after the lightning strike. It was a false alarm, but thanks anyway, boys. And thanks for driving your engine all the way to our door.

Here is a view looking back towards the station. Keen-eyed viewers will spot Poo On Sticks.


This photo was taken from the mouth of Pennys Lane. Of which, more in my next post.

Oh, what's that? Sorry, Pil, Phoebe, Sara Sue and C.Rag - I can't hear with you all shouting at once. You want a ... ? Oh, you want a photo of a fireman. Alright, here you go:

15 comments:

Sara Sue said...

I had forgotten about poo on sticks!!
Lovely fireman ... but could you sneak a camera in their shower or something?? Of course that would set your bush ablaze and they'd all come running ...

Cissy Strutt said...

Hmmm... I could go running in shouting "I'm on fire!" See how many of them jumped on me. Oh, oops, sorry, gotta go....

Forrest Proper said...

Lightning strikes
the Sticks O' Poo-
King's Cross people
all scream EEWWW!!!!!

Cissy Strutt said...

It's a balmy Spring Sunday morning here. The magpies are carrolling outside my window. A sweet breeze chivvies the whispy clouds. And The Colonel has implanted an image in my brain at once so hilarious and horrifying that I may need to go back to bed & pull the sheet over my head.

Joey Polanski said...

If you visitd a firehouse here in th States, Cissy, th firemen might let you slide down their poles.

Can you do that in Sydney?

Cissy Strutt said...

If a Pole slide down you would
make sure that Pole is good.
If a good one you can't find,
I have one in mind.
He comes out of hiding
when the talk turns to sliding.
Yes, it is that He
We call Joey Polanski.

Catalyst said...

Wow! Great poem, CS. In honor or it, I've tagged you. Twice. Check my blog.

Cissy Strutt said...

Aw shucks, thanks. It is the quality of my fellow-poetasters which spurs me to such heights. Without them, I am but a scribbler.

Anonymous said...

And these guys secured your building against lightning exactly how???

Cissy Strutt said...

They were meant to be confirming that the lightning strike had set off a false alarm, but the conversation between them seemed very indefinite - "What do you think?" "Indicates fire in the ceiling" "Probably okay" "Go and have a look?" "Orright" etc. Very reassuring.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I am thinking the Fireman's Manual for this kind of circumstance reads thusly:

1. Check to see if anything appears to be burning (sniff for smoke if you can't see any flames).

2. Ask colleague to also sniff for smoke.

3. If neither your nor colleague smells smoke, site is secured.

Cissy Strutt said...

Uncanny.

FreeOscar said...

Instead of saying "I'm on fire!"
Just run in naked saying your crotch is on fire. It's the truth & get some great pics of you & the firemen putting out your fiery crotch.

Cissy Strutt said...

Putting it out? Or fanning the blaze?

FreeOscar said...

Both