Tuesday, July 29, 2008

sweeties


I love sugar. Oh how I love it.

I love Haigh's chocolate, South Australia's finest. Their milk chocolate scorched almonds are a perfect breakfast, accompanied by hot dark coffee.

I love sour gummy anything.

I love dessert. There is a reason 'desserts' is 'stressed' spelled backwards.

I love Minties and Fantales and Jaffas.

I love bitter dark chocolate.

I love pfeffernusse.


I love lamingtons.

I love See's candy. I had a whole box of mixed truffles to myself last time I came through LAX. I bought a box for The Gucci Mama too as an alibi.

The Croissant D'Or opposite the El-Alamein Fountain does a vanilla slice you could drown in.

I love paddle-pops and Bubble O' Bill. I enjoy a Gaytime.

I love anything banana-flavoured. I love how "banana flavour" is like "chicken flavour" - nothing like the taste of the thing it is named for.

I love sweeties, lollies, candies, chocolate, treats, ice-cream, creme brulee, butterscotch, panna cotta, lemon bars, marshmallow, maple syrup, caramel, fudge, cakes.

And today it has been four weeks since I had any sugar. Of any kind. One month and counting ...

11 comments:

Malach the Merciless said...

Sweedish Fish, I could eat a whole bag

Mike said...

Popsicles and chocolate covered donuts for me.

Preferably at the same time.

Cissy Strutt said...

malach: I love those little pink guys.

mike: A chocolate-covered-donut-flavoured popsicle? I am so there.

Atlas Cerise said...

No sugar? And yet you remain so sweet.

(Seems Haigh's is not sold in the USA. Drat. I was willing to give it a try.)

FreeOscar said...

I'm a freak.
I don't like chocolate.
I don't have a sweet tooth.
I can't remember the last time I've eaten cake.

But there was this licorice I tried once that was from Australia. I loved it.

Forrest Proper said...

Chilmark Chocolates. Dipped in Vegemite.

yummers in the tummers!

Cissy Strutt said...

Atlas: How chocolatey of you to say so.

cuntie: Oh I can't believe I forgot to mention licorice! I love licorice. I think you might have had Darrell Lea's Soft Eating Licorice.

colonel; I've got a tube of vegemite to send to you.

Phoebe Fay said...

Oh for the love of all that is holy, why no sugar? And is it worth it?

Mmmm... chocolate. All kinds. When we visited San Francisco, Ghirardelli Square was the only non-negotiable item on my to-do list.

I have to go now. There's chocolate in the pantry that heard me read this post, and it's screaming my name.

Cissy Strutt said...

phoebe: I'll say - I can hear it from here.

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Mmmmmmmmm....pfeffernusse. Only available at Xmas time in my neighborhood; I buy 6 bags and try to spread the spicy goodness over several weeks.

Cissy Strutt said...

hereT: Oh yummers. Here you can buy them in packets all year round. Sometimes they are a little stale - but still good with a cup of tea. Other times they are so fresh your nostrils flare. Sigh. Still off the sugar - 6 weeks now.