Friday, July 4, 2008

Centennial Park



Near my home is Centennial Park, "a 189-hectare grand park in the Victorian period tradition featuring formal gardens, ponds, grand avenues, statues, historic buildings and sporting fields", so they say.





I go there and walk about, or sit in the cafe.





But when you come to visit, you might like to ride horses, or cycle.





Or walk your dog.





Several years ago, I met a friend for weekly walks through that Spring. We found a clutch of five cygnets with their parents, and on every walk after that we looked for them and watched their progress. One day, having not been for a while, there was no sign of five fluffy birds. We were sad. Then we spied a group of seven swans, and realised five of them were smaller than the other two. Our cygnets had fledged, and were now rambuctuous teenagers.





Meeting anyone who regularly used the Park during that time, I realised we all watched over that family group, somehow heartened that all of the babies survived the cold and the predators and grew up under our eyes.





They all only had one head, though.



11 comments:

Phoebe Fay said...

Pretty! I do lurve the birdies.

Sara Sue said...

I lurve them too and the bigger the bird the better!

Cissy Strutt said...

pheebs & sara sue: The park is swarming with birds. Next time I'll stalk some Sacred Ibis. They are so wonderfully disreputable. I think you'll both like them too.

Malach the Merciless said...

Crazy trees I love em!

AngryGinger said...

Those trees rock. I want to climb them.

FreeOscar said...

The creek that CockMaster & I walk our dog along had a mother duck with her little babies feverishly swimming behind her. One got a little behind & looked so scared that it swarm its little heart out just to get back with the group.

Cissy Strutt said...

malach & ag: A special tree pic for you next time.

cuntie: And that's the duckling that went on to explore the world.

Mike said...

My wife calls our garage the biggest bird house in the world, so please don't tell your birds about it. They'll want to move in.

Cissy Strutt said...

mike - maybe they could all flock at once and bring the garage down.

Chickie said...

The first photo of trees is pretty but they scare me for some reason. I'd be afraid to get close to them.

Cissy Strutt said...

chickie: they might start moving!