Sunday, August 17, 2008

only these



Here is a small thing which drives me crazy with exasperation. Say you want a red 7 litre plastic bucket. You go to a hardware shop. You say "Do you have any red plastic buckets?" The sales persons say "No, only these" pointing to a stack of red 7 litre plastic buckets.

What is it with the "only these"? I have exactly what you are after, but I respond "No, only these".

I thought perhaps this was an Antipodean habit. But on my recent trip to the United States, I found myself in picturesque Pennsylvania. I have been wanting some old wooden children's blocks for a while, so when I spotted a charming bric-a-brac shop in Frenchtown, naturally I made moves to enquire. "Good morning", I began. "I wonder if you would have any old wooden children's blocks at all?". "No," replied the sweet silver-haired shop woman, "Only these".

13 comments:

anaglyph said...

Do you have any photographs of the wooden blocks?

Cissy Strutt said...

No.

Malach the Merciless said...

I got tons of them, I can sell your some

Joey Polanski said...

Yeah. And I nevr udrstood th whole Yes, We Have No Bananas" thing.

Cissy Strutt said...

malach; I'll take 'em.

Joey: Yeah but no but yeah but no

Forrest Proper said...

Do you realize you've spelt Bumblq Hom Sex?

Cissy Strutt said...

colonel: Bupdi nold.

AngryMan said...

Does the U.S. have a president worth a damn?

Cissy Strutt said...

Oh angry, what a question. Only you guys can answer it, and do something about it.

Mike said...

I was going to comment on this post but I decided not to.

Atlas Cerise said...

Do you have an iPhone or iPod Touch?

Sara Sue said...

I had to look up the word "Antipodean" and now can't wait to use it! They are lovely blocks, aren't they?

Zaz said...

haha you're so funny! i am meaning to get rid of all "unecessary" clothes, if that makes sense, when were clothes ever a necessity?!

so yeah, just maybe keeping my green tibetan dress and a sweater or two.

ebay's a good idea. i've a kenzo jacket all floral that i bought for that "possible wedding" it is just sitting there.

if it's you that left me a comment on my blog then thank you.