Wednesday, October 17, 2007

So, farewell then, Townsville ...



Ah, Townsville. We've learned how to memorialise a military campaign, how to avoid irukandji, why green butts are sometimes good butts, the rewards of Rooball, the delights of roosting avifauna, and the answers to some pretty important questions.

It remains only to have a farewell drink at The Criterion (or The Cri, as it is called, we Australians being polysyllabically challenged) home of the longest running wet t'shirt competition in the Southern Hemisphere.




Here's a thing. When I was young and firm, I would never in a million years have entered. Now I am older, wiser & need the money, I would enter without a second thought, were it not that the inexorable migration south of the marvelous mammeries is well under way. Oh yes, they look fine with the application of clever and increasingly expensive foundation garments. But unfettered in the nude, or modestly shielded by wet stretch cotton, their once-famous generosity now brings to mind two ponderous dugongs wallowing in warm water.

So we say, farewell Townsville. We'll be back one day. The next post will come from Tasmania, home of the Devil, the Tiger and the original Tetherd Cow.

11 comments:

Malach the Merciless said...

But, but $700DOLLARS!

here today, gone tomorrow said...

(So I guess you won't be posting at sara sue's on Friday?)

Can't wait to see your photos of Tasmania.

Chickie said...

Thank goodness for clever and increasingly expensive foundation garments. They are our friends.

Anonymous said...

But the apostrophe? Why?

Cissy Strutt said...

Ah! my readers are perceptive, funny and wise.

malach: That $700 is still up for grabs. I can always change my mind.

hereTgoneT: my dear, I posted very early on. Don't say you missed it? Ask sara sue about it.

chickie: Sing it, sister.

anaglyph: What' ca'n I s'ay?

Sara Sue said...

I'm going to miss Townsville ... my kinda town.

Forrest Proper said...

$700? irukandji? apostrophe's'?

I'm sooooooooooooooooooo confuseticated.

I'll bet this has something to do with Vegemite! Fess up, that's it, isn't i't?

Phoebe Fay said...

Don't be dissing the boobies! A little southward drift just adds to their... mystique? character? nice personality?

All I know is, gravity or no, boobies are still fine things.

And the apostrophe would make perfect sense if you routinely squished it all together as wetteeshirt. But, the wet is all by itself on the sign, so that theory doesn't hold much water. Although the t-shirts probably do.

Joey Polanski said...

have you evr been to Villestown?

FreeOscar said...

I had a corny comment, but Joey's tops mine.

Villestown!

Cissy Strutt said...

sara sue: We may revisit some time, when it is less humid.

colonel: Pull yourself together, man. You have been riding the glossy black horse too long. You need to switch to peanut butter.

pheebs: thanks for the boob support - mmm feels good. But I think I'll stick to dry clothes for now.

joey: Oh you guy. Don't disappear again.

cuntie: Corn of any kind is welcome at The Stick. Though it must be said that Joey takes the cake.