Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Keating!

In Melbourne again, and on Friday night Marlowe, Tintarella, Violet Towne and I gave ourselves up to the brilliant, loud, sharp and funn-ee Australian musical Keating! No, not songs about what fun it is to keat, but a romp through the political landscape 1990 to 1996, the rise and reign of Paul Keating. Some of you will already know of my slavish admiration of the Zegna-suited, sharp-tongued, suave Mr K, Prime Minister, Man of Integrity and bookstore customer.

The show was a cracker. The musical is through-composed* in a wonderful and loving pastische of styles. It is written by Casey Bennetto, directed by Neil Armfield, with the gorgeous Mike McLeish as Keating ("I Am The Man"). Terry Serio is both the Silver Budgie**, and an at first hilarious, then creepingly chilling John Howard ("The Captain of the Mate Ship"). Eddie Perfect killed in fishnets and corset as Alexander Downer singing the lush "I'm Too Freaky". Indeed. The band were tremendous, with keyboardist Enio Pozzebon ably standing in for Gareth Gareth Evans ("Good Heavens Mr Evans"), safari suit and all.

I was dreading the election result which must inevitably end the show, and as McLeish sang the soulful "Light On The Hill" my eyes welled with tears. And then - oh can it be - they gave me a glorious moment, a moment when I could believe that the last eleven years have been just a dream, just a dream.

It's on at the beautiful Comedy Theatre (completed in 1928) and soon at Belvoir Street (just re-opened after extensive renos). See it if you can.

*fancy-schmancy theatre-speak for "there's no talking"
**ex Labor Prime Minister Bob Hawke

5 comments:

Sara Sue said...

Sounds like a fantastic show, Cissy. Think it'll ever make it to the U.S.?

Joey Polanski said...

Somone probly should get around to settin th American Keating story to musick, since John McCain is currently runnin fer presdent.

Cissy Strutt said...

sara sue: Its frame of reference is so specific, I wonder what UnAustralians would make of it. But who knows? The music is so good, it might make the leap.

joey: "somone should" - isn't that someone you? Or get PU drama department & glee club onto it - it could be a big hit.

Anonymous said...

All together now:

Time for Freedom
Time for moving (huh?)
It's Time to begin, yes it's Time!

Well, I know that was Gough, but I can't help tapping my foot...

Cissy Strutt said...

Unfortunately, "The Captain of the Mate Ship" has been playing in my head all weekend. Periodically, Marlowe & I break into song. Either that or "He Sent The Text To The Person That The Text Was About", which is not from Keating! but from one of the many great comedians performing at the Melbourne Comedy Festival (where I myself performed at the Last Laugh in the heady year of 1990)