Tuesday, November 4, 2008

the Race that Stops a Nation

It is the first Tuesday in November, and today a race will be run which brings an entire Nation together. Hope will struggle with Despair, Triumph hand in hand with Defeat. A whole Nation's hearts will beat strongly, quickly, as one. Then Joy unalloyed for the Winner, and the losers drag home with empty wallets, dreading the hangover of the morrow.

Yes, folks, it is Melbourne Cup Day. Don't ring Australia at 3.20pm, no-one will answer the phone.

Before the day is out, you must make the eternal, and difficult, choice between a fascinator and a hat.

Oh, and the horses. The beautiful horses.





So good luck to us all today in our voting, er I mean, betting. I like a hat, but this year I'm all for the Fascinator.

update: 45-1 roughie Viewed has won the Melbourne Cup, the twelfth for magic trainer Bart Cummings.

22 comments:

Mike said...

Well I was going to call you, but I guess there is no point now.

I didn't have much to say really. I was just going to breathe into the phone.

Cissy Strutt said...

oh mike, I'll always take a call from you.

And have you decided who you are betting on? the favourite is Mad Rush.

Malach the Merciless said...

Will you take a Skype?

Cissy Strutt said...

We got an interest rate cut from the Reserve Bank too, so wheeeeeeee !!!

Atlas Cerise said...

Just remember what happens to the horses that DON'T win...

Cissy Strutt said...

Do they get a lollypop?

Forrest Proper said...

We're feeling pretty good about our own horse race today, but we'll have to wait to be sure. Of course, you being 12 hours ahead of us and all, could let us know when you know.

Cissy Strutt said...

colonel: Oh we already know, but we have all been sworn to secrecy.

anaglyph said...

Er... you know, for the first time in... oh... I dunno, I entirely forgot it was on (and so did VT).

Maybe if I'd moved somewhere more in the midst of things. Oh, wait...

Cissy Strutt said...

anaglyph: Very un-Australian of you not to observe a public holiday. Shame job.

Forrest Proper said...

YAYYYY!!!!!! GREAT RACE!!

but you coulda told me aforehand, i'd have kept the secret...

Joey Polanski said...

Evr notice how aftr some races theres a bunch o horseshit that needs t be cleand up?

Forrest Proper said...

Luckily what's left of Dick Cheney will fit into a pail.

anaglyph said...

Yeah, I know. But it's the suburbs. I'm packing to go to LA. We're having renovations. Someone sent me Goon Show CDs and they distracted me. There has to be an excuse...

Cissy Strutt said...

colonel: I didn't want to spoil the fun.

joey: You bring the shovel.

colonel: You bring the pail (or bucket as we say here).

anaglyph: How bloody dare ... whoever it was.

Unknown said...

it's good to know that there's at least one country in the world that didn't watch the other race in the US...

Cissy Strutt said...

treespotter: There was another race? Who knew?

Atlas Cerise said...

I am just glued to this post for some reason.

Cissy Strutt said...

Atlas: Rein yourself in.

Atlas Cerise said...

Why do you have to be such a neigh sayer?

Sara Sue said...

I'll take a fascinator!

Cissy Strutt said...

sara sue: snap