Wednesday, May 7, 2008

jamais vu


Twice in the past week I have experience jamais vu. My dears, it's eerie.

La premiere foi: I was on a train to Erskineville to do some work with Michaelangelo Optica. I was chuffing* along, thinking my own thoughts, when I was startled by the recorded man saying "stand clear, doors closing" and I jumped out of the train, fearing at the same time that the station was Redfern and I was getting out a stop too early. Alighting, everything looked deeply unfamiliar - neither like Redfern nor like Erskineville. Instead of doing the sensible thing (looking for the station name) I followed the crowd up the stairs. I could feel my brain thinking, well, yes, the stairs are correct and at the top we'll see we are at Erskineville. And I was. But I only knew that by deductive reasoning. Though I came out into the street and saw the correct landmarks, I had the very strong feeling I wasn't in Erskineville at all. Even after an excellent cup of coffee at Cafe Sofia with M.Opt, the feeling I wasn't where I thought I was persisted for some time.

La deuxieme foi: I was walking up Pitt Street from Goulburn. I stopped into a second-hand bookshop and browsed works on World War I. When I stepped back out of the shop I had no idea where I was. You'd think that the emotion attached to this would be fear or panic. Instead, it was curiosity. I ascertained my location - I could see and rationalise certain landmarks, and could read and recognise street labels, yet I had never seen any of these things before. I kept walking up Pitt Street, sort of on faith really, as otherwise my option would have been to stand still. I kept waiting to "come to" and return to normal, but it was a good few minutes before I really knew where I was.

Fascinating.


*kids: trains used to go "choof choof choof". That was the sound of the steam, which drove the wheels. Now we have super-zoomy electric trains. So tell me why this is the road sign for 'train'.

**photo is of Dresden Bahnhof in Germany

16 comments:

Mike said...

A few years ago, I had the same thing happen when I was driving home. I actually had to call my wife to ask her where I was.

Actually, come to think of it, I was drunk at the time.

Never mind.

Cissy Strutt said...

ah, mike mike mike mike mike.

Chickie said...

It used to worry me when I'd get lost. Now I look at it as sightseeing.

Malach the Merciless said...

Your in M. Night Shamaylan movies aren't you

Cissy Strutt said...

chickie: Oh I love getting lost.

malach: I am.

Buzzardbilly said...

That is fascinating. I had no idea there were two more Vus out there. Thanks!

Cissy Strutt said...

BuzBi: How great is 'presque vu'? Now instead of saying 'Damnit, it's on the tip of my tongue', we can say 'Wow - presque vu. It's one of The Vus, you know'.

Phoebe Fay said...

I just assume that I've switched into a parallel universe when that happens. And I also assume that the parallel universe is close enough to the previous one that I'll only notice subtle differences. And I further assume that the me in the parallel universe has also switched into another universe so that we won't accidentally run into ourselves. Because that might get confusing.

FreeOscar said...

I have something similartojamais vue every morning.
Who the fuck did I screw last night & why am I at a bus station?

Cissy Strutt said...

pheebs: I like the idea of dopplering Phoebes pinging through parallel universes.

cuntie: Yeah, what is it about stations?

anaglyph said...

I had that happen to me this morning but then I realized it's these damn multifocals that I'm running in.

Cissy Strutt said...

So when we are drunk whilst wearing our new multifocals, we might get lost and wander onto the set of an M Night Shamaylan movie, which proves to be the gateway to a parallel universe. In a bus station. Screwed.

Forrest Proper said...

Does the parallel universe have George Bush in it, too?

Cissy Strutt said...

yes, my colonel. She's Georgina Bush, a happy mute tea lady working for a charity.

anaglyph said...

Except for the fact that M Night Shamaylan is in control, that might be a good universe...

Cissy Strutt said...

hmm, maybe we should put Bob Balaban in charge ...