Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ficus carica



Five fast fun facts about figs*

1. What we think of as the fruit, is in fact the flower of the tree (called an inflorescence).
2. After Adam & Eve realised they were nekkid, they clad their genitals with fig leaves.
3. Some varieties of figs are Brown Turkey, Celeste and Poona.
4. The word sycophant literally means "showing the fig".
5. In Ken Russell's 1969 film, Women In Love, Alan Bates eats a fig. If you've never seen it, just ... just watch it ...
6. Shakespeare once wrote (or was it Kit Marlowe) "When Pistol lies, do this, and fig me like the bragging Spaniard".

(*Facts may not be fun, acceleration not guaranteed. Oh, and there may not be five.)

11 comments:

AngryMan said...

I'm so tired of your false advertising.

Atlas Cerise said...

Who among us couldn't go for some good ol' fashioned Poona right about now?

Malach the Merciless said...

MMMMMMMMMMMM - Fig Newtons

Mike said...

Atlas is a Fig Fag.

Chickie said...

hee hee. Poona.

Cissy Strutt said...

A.Man: I don't give a fig.

Atlas: That is for each man to search his conscience and answer.

Malach: Yes, they are something to eat.

Mike: If you say so.

Chickie: I know!!

FreeOscar said...

I loving figging.

Joey Polanski said...

If Eve had known th angel guarding Eden had a fiery revolving sword, I suspeckt she wouda ditchd that fig leaf one las time bfore hittin th road.

Sara Sue said...

My favorite tongue twister is about figs!
"I'm not a fig plucker or a fig plucker's son, but I'll pluck figs 'til the fig pluckin's done!"

Cissy Strutt said...

cuntie: That's how babies get made, you know.

joey: Every girl loves a revolving sword. The flames are the icing on the cake.

sistah sara: I am imagining you twisting your tongue around a fig. Hmmm ... now I'm getting Alan Bates again.

Joey Polanski said...

Thinkin o Sara Sue ockasionaly gets me to Mistr Bates too!